Wednesday 25 January 2012

Reaching Out

As is normal most Wednesdays I went to the lunchtime service at the main church in the town. I like this service as it breaks up my week nicely and - to paraphrase an old advert - it refreshes the parts others can't reach.

The sermon today was about St Paul in honour of being the festival of the conversion of St Paul and the priest took the theme about people reaching out in humanity to one another. To St Paul even though he had persecuted the early followers of Jesus and to each other in general.

A friend has just found out that her father in law has terminal cancer, her husband is distressed and the whole family are upset. I know from personal experience how this feels but reaching out to offer a helping hand and offer some words of comfort is the most natural human emotion I can think of.

If I could pray for only one thing today it would be that comfort is given to those who suffer fear and anxiety due to news such as this, so that they in turn can give comfort to the person in need to ease their burden.

No comments:

Post a Comment